Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Life after surgery and Valentine's Day

     It has been two weeks since my surgery and for the most part, it has been smooth sailing. I spent four days and three nights in the hospital, though I was only expecting to stay for two at most, due to extreme nausea. Thankfully, after switching medicine, the nausea subsided and I haven't had any issues since. I slept a lot the first few days, and even now I take three to four hour naps. The only other issue I've had to deal with is a bit of pain, however the pain is only at one of the five incisions (the largest one at 1.5") and in my back. I have been able to manage the pain with a heating pad for my back and some medicine.
     I have been able to get up and get some regular exercise in the form of walking. Since the not-so-lovely weather here in Ohio has limited my outdoor activities and I still have restrictions that my surgeon gave me, I go to the mall and grocery stores and walk around. The biggest limitation is that I haven't been released to drive yet which means I have to rely on my husband and mom to take me. Hopefully at my next appointment on Thursday, some of my restrictions will be lifted and I will be released to do more exercise and fingers crossed, that I will be able to start driving.
     I have followed my diet and have been tracking my nutritional needs. I need to make sure I get at least 50-60 grams of protein and 40-60 ounces of water/liquid per day. One of the biggest issues for bariatric patients is dehydration so my liquid goal is super important. Without protein, my body will not heal as fast and will lack nutritionally so I make sure to drink two protein shakes each day especially since they have quite a bit of the other nutrient requirements. For the most part I have to make myself eat/drink though I have gotten hungry a few times.
     Now for what you have probably been wondering... How much weight have I lost so far? Well, since I started the pre-surgery diet January 9th I have lost 30.5 pounds! Pretty cool huh?!?! I am still "fluffy" so I am not so sure that it is really noticeable, but maybe I am just being hard on myself... Eventually I will post the pictures that I have been taking every Friday, though right now I am not ready to share them.

     So now that you are all up to speed on me, let's move on....

     Every year my husband, Jamie, and I do something for Valentine's Day. Usually we go out to dinner and sometimes a movie. We are pretty low key and exchange cards, though once in a while he surprises me and gets me flowers, gifts, and chocolate. Side note: I love dark chocolate and last year he asked the store associate for candy suggestions. She recommended 90% pure cacao. What Jamie didn't realize is that in 90% pure cacao there is only a touch of sugar, in another word, nasty. Being the prankster mom, I offered to share with my four boys and the looks on their faces was totally hysterical! I know, I'm so mean, lol.
     So obviously this V Day things will be different. Going out to dinner is out unless I get soup without chunks (I have to puree or blend all of my food right now) and if you haven't looked at a menu lately, there are not a lot of options. No candy either. So as of now, it looks like we will be celebrating the day of love at the movies, sans concessions. Not sure what movie yet. Guess we'll figure it out.
     Even though making plans is a little more difficult now that basing an event around food is out of the question, I will still have fun and be healthier for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment